Langues

Répondre au commentaire

Special package

Package content (DV tape, business card, GPS coordinates)

Tuesday morning came into my mailbox a special package charged with a story. Last February, I made contact with Lulu Keatings to help me with the documentation of my project in Yukon. Lulu is an independent filmmaker who lives in Dawson City. I wasn't satisfied with the footage I shot just before leaving Dawson: the images I took with the DV-cam borrowed to SOVA turned out to be ugly, possibly a light ajustment problem and a dirty lens. So I asked Lulu if she would be up for an adventure in the cold wilderness of Crocus Bluff.

Along with the DV tape containing the precious footage, Lulu sent me the exact coordinates of the piece that she got with her friend Karen's GPS:

• Longitude: 64° 03.113N
  • Latitude: 139° 25.202W
  • Altitude: 390m

... which has allowed me to accordingly update my directions post.

But the story is best told through our Lulu and I email exchanges, which she allowed me to publish here.

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:08:21 -0500
From: Sofian Audry <...@...>
To: Lulu Keatings <...@...>
Subject: Documentation of an outdoor art project

Dear Lulu,

My name is Sofian Audry, I was given your contact by Lance Blomgren at
KIAC who told me you might be interested. I was a resident at the
MacCaulay house in August-September 2009 to work on an outdoor
electronic art installation. The piece, located in Crocus Bluff, is a
"hibernating device" that produces electronic sound. It takes its energy
from the sun through solar panels.

There's some more details on the project's blog:

When I was in Dawson, I was really at the last minute for shooting my
video. I used the SOVA Mini-DV cam and the lens was dirty, plus there
was a strange adjustment with the colors so my footage is not very good.
Plus, I'd like to get some shots during Winter. Giving that I'm pretty
far away  :)  I'm looking for someone from Dawson who'd be ready for a
small snowshoeing/video contract. I only need the footage, I'll do the
editing myself.

Please let me know if you are interested and what your conditions would be.

Best,

Sofian Audry

***

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:32:27 -0800
From: Lulu Keating <...@...>
To: Sofian Audry <...@...>
Subject: RE: Documentation of an outdoor art project

Hi SOfian,

I apologize for the days since you emailed and my response.  I was in Whitehorse
attending a film festival and just returned to DAwson this morning.
The project interests me.  The weather has been mild (only -10 or so) and there is
a lot of sun lately.  So shooting conditions should be ideal, if I can find your art
installation.  I have a camera - a Cannon camera that records to miniDV tape.

[...]

Cheers, Lulu

Lulu Keating
Red Snapper Films Limited
www.redsnapperfilms.ca

***

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:52:33 -0700
From: Lulu Keating <...@...>
To: Sofian Audry <...@...>
Subject: no luck yet

Hi Sofian,

Today is sunny and bright here and finally I got camera and time and a friend
together and we went up Crocus Bluff in search of your  "Absences".
No luck.
Definitely the markers on trees are gone - perhaps removed by volunteers
who maintain the trails up there.

But we had a good look around anyway, and have come to the conclusion that
the Absence is below the snow.  We tramped through it and it's a good three feet
deep in most places.  How high is the sculpture?

We is Karen MacKay and me.  She has a GPS and we plan to go again in April
when the snow will have gone down, and with the coordinates we are confident we
can find it if its there.

Does that sound alright with you?  I shot some material of this exploration today in
case you're interested in having it.  I'll send it later, unless you need it now.

If there are any other reference points you can give us, let me know.  Do you
remember the bird house on a tree nearby?

Cheers, Lulu

Lulu Keating
Red Snapper Films Limited
www.redsnapperfilms.ca

***

Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 22:04:17 -0400
From: Sofian Audry <...@...>
To: Lulu Keating <...@...>
Subject: Follow-up

Dear Lulu,

I hope you're doing well. I see that the temperature goes over zero in
Dawson this week: is Summer already there? :)
I would like to know if you had the opportunity to go back to Crocus
Bluff and try to find my installation.

Best,

Sofian Audry

***

Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:31:52 -0700
From: Lulu Keating <...@...>
To: Sofian Audry <...@...>
CC: Karen MacKay <...@...>
Subject: RE: Follow-up

Hi Sofian,
How's it going where you are?  Where are you these days?
We have discovered the installation - or rather Karen MacKay has.  It was
farther along than we were looking so your directions are a little off.  She couldn't
hear anything but I've got a better ear and the sun is now shining a lot - days are
already long and sunny.

Karen and I plan to go up there later this week with a camera to videotape it.  I can
send you the video tape next week.
Are there any shots that you really want?

Cheers, Lulu

Lulu Keating
Red Snapper Films Limited
www.redsnapperfilms.ca

***

Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 20:06:49 -0700
From: Lulu Keating <...@...>
To: Sofian Audry <...@...>
Subject: address

Hi Sofian,
We did shooting on the weekend.  All's well with your art object but no sound could be
detected.

I'm ready to send you the tape with shots as per your request and coordinates - what
address is best to send it to you?

Cheers, Lulu

Lulu Keating
Red Snapper Films Limited
www.redsnapperfilms.ca

***

Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:42:13 -0400
From: Sofian Audry <...@...>
To: Lulu Keating <...@...>
Subject: Re: address

Dear Lulu,

Great! I'm just sad about the sound... the device is most probably dead.
You can send the tape at the following address:

[...]

Cheers,

Sofian Audry

***

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:56:07 -0400
From: Sofian Audry <...@...>
To: Lulu Keating <...@...>
Subject: Re: address

Dear Lulu,

I just received the tape! I didn't get a chance to look at it yet but I'm pretty
excited to do so when I'll have the opportunity (probably next week).
Anyway, I just wanted you to know that it's reached its destination!

Thanks again, and all the best!

Sofian

P. S. I posted an entry on my blog about this adventure. Here's the link:

Répondre

Le contenu de ce champ ne sera pas montré publiquement.
  • Les adresses de pages web et de messagerie électronique sont transformées en liens automatiquement.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <pre> <h3> <h4> <h5> <h6>
  • Les lignes et les paragraphes vont à la ligne automatiquement.

Plus d'informations sur les options de formatage

CAPTCHA
Cette question permet de vérifier si vous êtes un visiteur humain afin d'empêcher les envois automatisés de pourriel.
Fill in the blank
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.